Frequently Asked Questions

    No. Appealing your assessed value with the Board of Review is FREE.

    No. You can only appeal the value being used to calculate your tax bill that is payable next year.

    If you have description errors or are missing exemptions affecting your property tax bill, please contact the Cook County Assessor’s Office at 312-443-7550.

    Your township is located in the upper right-hand corner of your tax bill. You can also find your township on the following websites: www.cookcountyassessor.com and www.cookcountypropertyinfo.com

    Once your township has closed for filing, the appeal process generally takes up to 3 months.

    Local government spending plays a significant role in the increase and decrease of taxes. If the taxing district increases spending, the tax rate will often increase to cover expenditures.

    An omitted assessment occurs when a taxable property or land was not assessed or only partially assessed by the Cook County Assessor. The omission can be any error that causes a parcel of property to be assessed at less than full taxable value. This results in inaccurate tax bills. Example: You build a new house on vacant land. However, the Cook County Assessor still assesses the property as vacant land. When the mistake is caught, the Assessor has the right to correct the assessment of the improved parcel for the years the property was incorrectly assessed.

    An attorney is needed only if the property is being held in the name of a corporation, LLC, or any other legal entity other than an individual taxpayer.

    BOR Rules

    You may appeal the assessed value of your property with the Board of Review once each tax year cycle.

    Yes. You can file online. However, to track your online appeal, you must create an account. Please click here

    You may request a hearing to present additional evidence before the Board, but it is not necessary. Evidence can be submitted by mail or through the online filing system.

    It is not a requirement to submit evidence when filing an appeal as an individual. The Board of Review will conduct the necessary research. However, if the taxpayer has a unique circumstance, evidence can be submitted online, via mail, or during a requested hearing.

    Yes, we still accept paper appeal forms. All Board of Review forms can be found on our website: www.cookcountyboardofreview.com/forms/list